Thursday, June 7, 2012

the only CITY i'd live in

     Anyone who knows me knows I love country music. But I don't just love country music... I LOVE country music. Some of my friends have told me I just AM country music (still not really sure what that means). Now anyone who really knows me knows that I hate the city. Now anyone who really REALLY knows me knows that there is one "city" I'd live in and it's right in the heart of dixie known as Music City USA. Although on a map you're gonna find it under Nashville, Tennessee.
     I don't know what it is about that city, lots of people go there. After all it is a "crazy town full of neon dreams" where "everybody plays and everybody sings."  It's "Hollywood with a touch of twang" but I wouldn't go there with hopes of making it big in the music industry. I would go there to dance, to explore, to watch... and maybe lead Young Life college at Vanderbilt or something. I feel like I talk about this a lot but there is just something about that city that has pulled me in for years. My roommate even found a sweatshirt at Goodwill that says "Nashville Scrappers" on it, so we got it. We realized a couple months later however that it's from Nashville High School in Nashville, Arkansas.... oh well!
     I've been there a few times since I became a "southern belle" and it is my favorite spot for what I like to call Vacations with Me. It's a big enough city to kind of get lost in but not big enough that it swallows you up. The CMT awards were on tonight which sparked this idea again. I realize that Nashville is WAY way more than just country music but it is music city after all. Often I find myself I daydream sometimes about living in a studio apt downtown and working in a coffee shop below, going up on the hill for a run in Centennial, seeing who's coming to the Ryman that week and exploring all sorts of thrift shops, painting by the river and ofc course the little bit of twang i've developed in my voice has become permanent. But for now I am ok with it just being a vacation spot... and no matter where I am, it always will be.










No comments:

Post a Comment