Friday, September 30, 2011

The Mountain

     I grew up with Mt Rainier in my back yard. One of my favorite things about walking to high school was seeing the mountain in the background coming around the corner. For a couple days I spent time with my mom in Sumner, WA, which is about 30 minutes from where I grew up. I spent the morning down the street at Starbucks with an americano (with white chocolate of course) in hand, sitting outside in my sweater and boots, sitting by the fire, listening to a Solid Rock Podcast all underneath the shadow of the great Mt Rainier.
     Like I said before, I grew up with the mountain out my window but I can honestly say that this is the first time I have really NOTICED the mountain. I was completely taken back and amazed by the magnificent piece of God's work that overpowers the western Washington skyline. I couldn't stop looking at it, and I've seen it all my life! 
    If there is one thing that I defiantly miss in the South it's the mountains. The "mountains" that I have seen around here have well... been more ....hilly. Not saying that they are not beautiful, the South defiantly has it's own beauty and wonder and mountains and hills, but there is nothing like the cascades. There is nothing like letting Mt Rainier, Mt Baker, Mt Adams, Mt St Helens, or Mt Hood wake you up in the morning. A mountain isn't a mountain unless it's got snow on it all year round. 
     That morning sitting at Starbucks was one of the most peaceful mornings I have had in a long time. The sermon from John Mark was so encouraging and I loved being able to take my time and wake up! I love getting ready in the morning but now that I also work at Starbucks in Little Rock I always work the morning shift. As hard as it is to get up in the morning (especially when the morning becomes 4am) it is so worth getting up even earlier than needed, because it's more than needed! No matter what time of the day it is the only time that is really "your" time is the morning. Before your day starts. Before you look at your planner or to-do list. Before you walk out the door, take some time to spend some time with the God of the universe. I guarantee it will change everything for the good. 
     Also, I have decided that I am going to create my own "windows to the Northwest" in my room in Arkansas. One said will have Mt Rainier, the other Mt Hood. That way I can wake up everyday, even 3,000 miles away, to the wonder and majesty that is the MOUNTAIN.
Mt Rainier over Tacoma

Mt Rainier behind Kentwood High School.
Home of the Conquerors

Til the next new day ♥ ,

No comments:

Post a Comment