Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Green Apron

     Yep that's right, about a month ago I got a job at Starbucks wearing that famous green apron. The funny thing is that I got the job in Arkansas after growing up in Seattle.... how's that for a switch!
     I have worked coffee before but I was still nervous in the beginning but slowly I must say, I love everything about it. I actually work in Little Rock, which everyone down here is so obsessed with the amount of driving that I do to get to work but think about it, I am use to a Seattle/Portland commute and getting to work in the morning is shorter than working at IKEA in Tukwila when I was in high school. For my Oregon friends... it would be like going to school at OSU and working in Albany, or dancing in Albany on a Thursday night :) yeah it's a drive but not really that bad.
     I love my store, the people I work with and my customers. I laugh everyday, it's so fun and time goes by so fast because we are so busy! I know my regulars already and seeing them everyday is so fun. Most of the time in the morning I work with all guys which is fun and keeps it interesting. They are all like my big brothers really. They help me, look out for me, and even fight off creepy customers who want to "know my story" if you know what I am saying. And with all that, turns out I am actually pretty good at what I do. I am usually on the drive through window but even during training I had people tell me that I was really impressive. I guess I'm a fast learner. I am not trying to brag but I'll admit it feels good to know that you are doing a really good job. You know what though, in all of that I only have one person to thank for it all, and if you know me at all you can probably guess what I am about to go into. God.
     "In everything you do do it for the glory of God." I typically need to be at work anywhere between 5:30 and 6:30 Tuesday thru Saturday. Sunday's I've been covering other stores, even though it's my day off and Monday's I have off for Young Life. But I leave the house 45min before I need to be there so I don't have to rush and I sit in my car and listen to music and continue to wake up before I clock in. Before that I get up usually an hour before I have to leave to make sure I have time to get ready, eat something and most importantly sit, read my bible and be with God even if it happens to be dark-thirty in the morning. It is so strange waking up at 4am but having time to be with God in the morning is so crucial and so worth it. There have been times where I was too tired and just got up with enough time to change and run out the door and I am telling you it makes so much of a difference! I'm awake and smiling in the morning and people notice it. My co workers have asked me how I am so happy in the morning and I just smile. I don't know a lot of them really well but most know I am a Christian and I am so excited to be able to share my faith and the glory of God while working in that green apron of ours. I mean it was Him that provided the job in the first place as soon as I got home from SharpTop Cove, why not use it as a ministry. Now that doesn't mean I go around shouting verses at them all day long. But they know there is something different about me that they haven't really seen before. If you are a follower of Jesus Christ, people should be able to tell. Not because you tell them so but because of how you act, what you say, how you work, your smile and the fruit that comes from being pruned by the vine dresser.
     They are great people and it's a great job and we have a great God!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment